/ About Us
/ Boat History
/ Mohican History
Mohican II. The original Mohican (1894-1907) was a 93-foot wooden hull vessel. In 1907, the Steamboat Company determined to replace her with a steel-hulled vessel. A fine naval architect, J.W. Millard of New York City, was contracted to design the new vessel. The Fletcher Company was contracted for the hull and engines. The Fletcher people sub-let the contract for the hull to the T.S. Marvel Ship Building Company of Newburgh, NY. The Hull plates were formed in Newburgh, and then shipped by railroad to Ticonderoga, where they were riveted together at the company's shipyard at Baldwin.
The Mohican I (1894-1907)
On December 14, 1907, the new hull was launched at Baldwin. And in the summer of 1908 the new ship was christened Mohican, after her predecessor, beginning the custom of reusing names of former lake boats which survived until the construction of the Lac du Saint Sacrement. And thus began the first of her 105 years of continuous service on Lake George.
The Mohican II's hull being near completion in the fall of 1907
The Mohican II underway in the summer of 1908
The Mohican's two propellers were driven by Fletcher steam engines, the steam being generated by the burning of two tons of coal each day. She proceeded under steam power through the World War II years, at which time she was the only passenger vessel plying the lake. When Wilbur Dow purchased the Steamboat Company in November of 1945, he determined that diesel would be a more efficient means of propulsion and that the conversion to diesel engines would free large areas on the Mohican's second deck for passenger usage. The conversion was completed in 1946. The Mohican also had her wooden super structure remodeled in the early 1950's to have a new "modern" stream-line look. She kept this look until the late 1950's, until her wooden super structure was once again changed again to accomodate increased passenger numbers. But this was not the last time the Mohican changed her looks, she had another and final renovation to her made in the winter of 1966.
An old postcard showing Mohican II cruising the lake in the early 1950's
(photo courtesy of CardCow.com)
The Mohican's second major renovation was accomplished in the winter of 1966-1967 when, at the urging of the New York State public vessel inspectors, the vessel's wood and canvas superstructure was replaced by steel. Great care was taken during this process to maintain as closely as possible the vessel's original lines.
Steel superstructure being added onto the Mohican's hull back in the winter of 1966-1967
In May of 2015, the Mohican will begin her 107th year of operations on Lake George! In June 2008, the Mohican was placed on the national Register of Historic Places, the third active passenger vessel to be so designated.
Continuing this year, the Mohican sails a 10:30 AM Paradise Bay Trip on Fridays through Wednesdays. Thursdays at 8:30 AM, the Mohican sails her fully narrated "Full Lake Cruise," the only complete tour of Lake George. Each afternoon at 2:30, she sails an "Island Exploration Cruise" through the Narrows and the many beautiful Islands of Lake George. During the week, the Mohican sails specialized evening cruises, Tuesday's Taco Cruise, Wednesday's Mac N Cheese Cruise, Thursdays Pizza Cruise, and Fridays Pasta Cruise from 6:30 - 8 pm - a great family cruise to have a kid-friendly dinner and a shorter scenic lake cruise with great entertainment!
Photo Courtesy of Nancy Jefts